My Smash Cake Collection


If you've been to a toddler's birthday party lately, I'm sure you've seen the popular smash cake. These are small cakes just for the birthday girl/boy to smash into and enjoy all for themselves. It's great to watch the kids get so excited over all the icing and cake.

I've made many smash cakes and have really enjoyed coming up with all the different ideas for various themes. Today I've put together a round-up of my six favorite smash cakes. Each had to fit a specific theme, and were a hit with each birthday boy and girl.

Here's the top six smash cakes I've made this past year:

My Little Pony

First up, is a My Little Pony and daisy themed cake for a little girl named Daisy. For this cake, I bought a toy My Little Pony which had a small tiered cake that came with it. To bring in the daisy aspect of the cake, I made fondant daisies to place around the cake. I made a polka dot "Daisy" and platform to bring together all the elements.


Lightning McQueen (Disney's Cars)

One of my first smash cakes I made was this Lightning McQueen cake for my nephew's Cars themed birthday party. It was his third birthday party, but his first with us (he was adopted just over a year ago). He loves anything Cars, especially Lightning McQueen. I made a tiered Cars themed cake, but wanted to make a cake just for him as well. I covered it with red icing with fondant details to make Lightning McQueen's face. The fondant cake border was black and white to tie in with all the checkerboard details of the party.


Sea Turtle

I made a special sea turtle smash cake for a friend from college's little boy. He loves a sea turtle movie, so I made him an ocean and sea turtle smash cake. I created a fondant turtle and fondant star fish which I placed on a cake covered with blue icing. The placed his name in fondant letters on the front of the cake. A piped shell border, resembling waves, was the final touch to this ocean smash cake.


Elephant


Next is an elephant cake with mainly buttercream details. Other than his name, all the decorations are done in buttercream for this smash cake. I started by covering the cake with light blue icing and a darker blue border. The cake was personalized with a piped elephant and balloon, which matched the invitations. The cake matched a larger cake for the adults, as well as cupcakes. 


Garden Theme

One of my favorite smash cakes I've made this year is a garden themed cake for a one year old girl, Allison. This is a design that I came up with after months of planning. I was really excited about the design, and it was a hit at the party! The side of the cake was surrounded with a white picket fence I created using Cricut Cake, and buttercream piped like grass. I topped the cake with crushed chocolate sandwich cookies as dirt and a fondant flower.


Rose Cake

Next is a rose smash cake that wasn't for a party, but rather a smash cake photo session. My goal was to create a cake that was simple, yet pretty and elegant. I decided to cover the cake with piped roses. For this cake, I added some extra details by covering the cake board in fondant and creating a fondant "1" to stick down in the cake. I finished off the look with small pink and purple fondant flowers.



Hope you've enjoyed this round-up of cake ideas! My Sweet Tooth Tuesdays blog party is still going on through today. Make sure and link up your recipes, crafts, and DIY projects!

Don't forget to follow me on social media (or follow my blog) to keep up with all of my updates and posts. Check out my sidebar for all the different ways to follow me and my blog. 

Popular Posts