(Kid Approved) Zucchini Muffins


I recently started working again, and am loving my new job! I have found, though, that mornings are much more hectic now. I'm not really a morning person, so I usually wake up in just enough time to get ready and get to work. Breakfast is pretty much whatever I can grab to easily take to work and snack on. Let me tell you, there are a lot of not so great on the go breakfast snacks. Especially for those of us with a major sweet tooth! 

I've been resisting the pop tarts and pastries and going for something lighter. Most of what I take, though, hasn't been sticking with me, I'm hungry an hour later. This past weekend, I decided to try and make a batch of some muffins that I could eat for breakfast. I decided to try making muffins using a zucchini bread recipe. I'm not saying it is the healthiest breakfast ever, but these muffins are much better than a lot of other quick breakfast options, and they stick with you more!

Now for anyone out there that dislikes zucchini, don't let that keep you from trying out this recipe. I assure you, the zucchini adds moisture but no taste. I grated it finely, you didn't notice a texture issue either. The muffins got the stamp of approval from some family members, including my young niece who isn't exactly a huge veggie fan! She wanted a second muffin, I think she was more excited about that than the last cupcakes I made.

Zucchini muffin ingredients (yields 24):
  • 2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 zucchini)
  • 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/3 cup water
Zucchini Muffin directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350F
  • Peel zucchini and cut off ends
  • Grate zucchini
  • Mix together all wet ingredients (zucchini, eggs, water, oil)
  • In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt)
  • Mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, mix on low until everything is combined
  • Spray a muffin tin generously with cooking spray (or use cupcake liners)
  • Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter into the tin (I use a ice cream scoop to measure out the batter)

  • Bake around 18-22 mins
These muffins are moist and delicious! The recipe was adapted slightly from Paula Deen. I changed a couple things up, including not adding nuts. If you would like to add in some walnuts or pecans, though, that would be great as well.


I'm so excited to announce that I am doing a week-long party next week all about apples. Fall is just around the corner, and apple is one of my absolute favorite flavors! I will be sharing ideas from around the web, some of my favorite apple items, and of course some delicious apple recipes. Hope that you come back to check out the party, it's going to be fun!

Popular Posts