Pumpkin Scones


I love this time of year - scarves, boots, apple cider, fall decor, and of course pumpkin! We recently visited a pumpkin patch and added some new fall decor to our home.

Here's how I decorated for Fall (so far) -

Outdoor pumpkin decor:

  • Used washi tape to decorate a white colored pumpkin
  • Glued buttons on and finished with a ribbon for extra detail
  • Still need to carve a pumpkin for this year!
Fall mantle decor:
  • Covered soda bottles with blue and tan twine and added button/twine letters 
  • Added ribbon to a small pumpkin
  • Finished off mantle with fall flowers in the soda bottle vases


Besides Fall decor, my other favorite aspect of the season are the flavors. Cinnamon, apples, nutmeg, and pumpkin (my personal favorite).

One of my favorite pumpkin treats has to be Starbucks' pumpkin scone. I recently ran across a copycat recipe for this treat and knew I had to try it out this Fall!

I made a couple minor tweaks to the recipe, and it is SO delicious! It's a new favorite recipe for my husband and I. One of the things I decided to change was the shape of the scone. You may recall when I made the Pioneer Woman's cinnamon chip scones I made them heart shaped. I decided for these pumpkin scones, I would make them pumpkin shaped! Instead of a random drizzle for the spiced glaze, I added the glaze to represent the ribs of the pumpkins.



Pumpkin Scone ingredients:

  • Scone ingredients:
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    • 1 tsp cinnamon
    • 3/4 tsp ground cloves
    • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp baking soda
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
    • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    • 3 tbs milk
    • 1 egg
    • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • Glaze
    • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
    • 2 tbs milk
  • Spiced glaze
    • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
    • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    • Pinch of nutmeg
    • 2 tbs milk
Pumpkin Scone instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
  • Link a baking sheet with parchment paper
  • Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt
  • Add cold butter and combine with pastry blender until the consistency is similar to course crumbs
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, milk, egg, and vanilla
  • Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula until a soft dough forms
  • Flour surface and dump dough onto the surface
  • Roll the dough out to about 3/4 in thickness
  • Cut into triangles or use cookie cutter to cut out scone shape
  • Place on baking sheet 
  • Bake 10-12 minutes
  • Whisk together milk and confectioners' sugar in a bowl
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, confectioners' sugar, and cinnamon/nutmeg
  • After scones have cooled for 10 minutes, cover the scones with the plain glaze
  • Top the scones by drizzling the spiced glaze
Enjoy these delicious (and adorable) pumpkin scones this Fall!

Popular Posts